[Ocfs2-devel] OCFS2 features RFC - separate journal?

Daniel Phillips phillips at google.com
Wed May 3 18:04:30 CDT 2006

Mark Fasheh wrote:
> The OCFS2 team is in the preliminary stages of planning major features for
> our next cycle of development. The goal of this e-mail then is to stimulate
> some discussion as to how features should be prioritized going forward. Some
> disclaimers apply:

Hi guys,

Sorry about the lag.  Here's an easy feature nobody has mentioned so far, and
from my reading isn't supported: separate journal, like Ext3.  The journals
stay per-node, but they can be on a different (shared) volume than the
filesystem proper.  This should be dead simple to do and it can make a huge
difference to write latency, by putting the journals on separate spindles or
(what I actually have in mind) in NVRAM.

Regards,

Daniel