[Ocfs2-devel] OCFS2 Features RFC

Brian Long brilong at cisco.com
Tue May 2 13:22:09 CDT 2006

Hello,

I just subscribed to this list because I saw this posting in the
archives:
http://oss.oracle.com/pipermail/ocfs2-devel/2006-April/000931.html

Is there any reason you wouldn't ask the ocfs2-users community for
feedback on features as well?  I hadn't subscribed to -devel because I
figured it was solely for folks actually developing the OCFS2 code  :)

In my opinion, the proposed feature about "hard read only" is the most-
wanted.  My team is in the middle of testing 10gR2 RAC on OCFS2 for
production deployments on RHEL 4 (hopefully your x86_64 certification is
coming soon).  I assume Oracle RAC would like the "hard read only" more
than the current panic.

Also, while I saw one end user complain about your ideas of implementing
ext3 code inside OCFS2, please remember the rest of us that survive just
fine with ext3 in Red Hat's Enterprise Linux.  :)

Third, is there any thoughts on integrating LVM support or using
something like Red Hat's CLVM to allow OCFS2 to layer on top of LVs
instead of just individual disks?

The biggest drawback I see in my environment is that my storage team
provides 34GB and 68GB metas from the EMC Frames.  I'd rather not have a
ton of 68GB OCFS2 filesystems but rather a larger, host-controlled LV.
Trying to get the storage team to provide a 200+GB LUN and grow it on
the fly in the future is a tough task.  If I could control the LV on the
host _and_ grow OCFS2 into larger LVs, that would rock.

Thanks.

/Brian/
--
       Brian Long                      |         |           |
       IT Data Center Systems          |       .|||.       .|||.