[Ocfs2-devel] FYI: RedHat open-sourced GFS/DLM/cluster stuff last week

Cahill, Ben M ben.m.cahill at intel.com
Fri Jul 2 15:25:34 CDT 2004

Hi all,

If you haven't heard about it already, I thought folks on the list might
be interested to know that RH open-sourced (GPL) a whole bunch of stuff
that had been Sistina's commercial software offering for shared/cluster
filesystem (GFS) and related support.

The biggest surprise for me was that it includes a "redesigned from the
ground up" distributed lock manager (DLM) modeled after the same
VaxCluster/VMS DLM that inspired OpenDLM.  It also includes the g-lock
layer that I was talking about a week or two ago, so you can plug in
different lock managers and perform operations at specific times during
the lifetime of a specific lock type.

There's some good reading about the whole GFS/DLM/cluster thing at:

http://people.redhat.com/~teigland/sca.pdf

The cluster project page:

http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/

And the specific GFS project page:

http://sources.redhat.com/cluster/gfs/

CVS in the project pages contains stuff for 2.6.7.  Source for 2.4 GFS
is at:

ftp://ftp.redhat.com/pub/redhat/linux/enterprise/3/en/RHGFS/i386/SRPMS/

although I haven't been successful in accessing that, yet.  Daniel
Phillips (RedHat) said that doesn't contain the latest goodies
(including DLM IIRC).

-- Ben --

Opinions are mine, not Intel's