[Ocfs2-devel] [BUG] can not chmod to 777

Kurt Hackel Kurt.Hackel at oracle.com
Tue Apr 13 20:20:55 CDT 2004

Hi Xiaofeng,

Unfortunately this is the normal behavior of OCFS.  When the filesystem
was originally ported from Windows NT, there was no provision for root
directory permissions (or any other permissions for that matter).  The
only way to change the permissions on the root currently is to use the
tuneocfs tool to change the permissions, uid and/or gid.

If anyone wants to fix this, they would have to make a lock structure
somewhere on the header of the disk (plenty of space there) and
permanently set the OIN_MAP part of the lock structure to all nodes.
Then you would have to handle the release part of that special lock to
understand how to update the root inode when another node changes the
permissions, etc.  Basically need to broadcast the change, and not
continue doing anything locally that depends on the change until you
have gotten a response from all live nodes.

Thanks!
-kurt