[Ocfs-users] Lock contention issue with ocfs

Jeremy Schneider jer1887 at asugroup.com
Wed Mar 10 16:55:56 CST 2004

I am still having this weird problem with nodes hanging while I'm
running OCFS.  I'm using OCFS 1.0.9-12 and RHAS 2.1

I've been working on tracking it down and here's what I've got so far:
1. I create a file from node 0.  This succeeds; I can /bin/cat the
file, append, edit, or whatever.
2. From node 1, I do an operation that accesses the DirNode (e.g.
/bin/ls)
3. Node 0 immediately acquires a OCFS_DLM_EXCLUSIVE_LOCK on the DirNode
itself (although I seem to still be able to *read* the DirNode from node
1)
4. I attempt to create a file from node 1...  node 1 hangs, waiting for
the exclusive lock on the DirNode to be released.
*** node 1 is now completely dysfunctional.  OCFS is hung.
5. I delete the file I created in step 1 (from node 0)
6. The OCFS_DLM_EXCLUSIVE_LOCK is released.
7. node 1 resumes, and creates a file

8. I access the DirNode from node 0
9. Node 1 immediately acquires a OCFS_DLM_EXCLUSIVE_LOCK on the DirNode
itself...  the whole process repeats, but with the nodes reversed.

This looks a lot like a bug to me.  I've had a case open with Oracle
Support for it since the end of Feb, but at the moment BDE is too busy
investigating some message about the local hard drive controller to
consider that it might be a bug (and honestly, it probably doesn't
involve my local hard drive controller).

Anyone have any suggestions?

Jeremy
Lansing, MI