[fedfs-utils] Proposal for end-of-life for fedfs-utils development

Chuck Lever chuck.lever at oracle.com
Thu Aug 3 07:31:02 PDT 2017

> On Aug 2, 2017, at 11:27 PM, Ian Kent <raven at themaw.net> wrote:
>

> Sorry, my bad, hit reply instead of reply-all.

The /nfs4 part of this uses only the DNS SRV record. No LDAP
query is done for this (unless the DNS server is doing one).

This points NFS clients to the server and export where the
top-level directory resides. From that point, NFS referrals
guide the clients through the file namespace.

>> -> nfsref can manage basic referrals, which don't require any LDAP
>> support. nfsref and the junction library could be moved into nfs-utils
>> to support basic referrals.
>>
>> In other words the only piece autofs needs is support for /nfs4.
>> The NFS-server piece would reside in nfs-utils.
>
> That's what I was asking I guess.
>
> I'm not really concerned where this lives just need to know for my
> planning and also what capabilities it will retain for FedFS referrals.

It would no longer support FedFS referrals. Only NFS basic
referrals would be supported.

When an NFS server resolves one of these objects, it will not
perform any LDAP query. It will use only the information in the
junction object.

My sense is that no-one has deployed FedFS. Deprecating this
functionality should be safe.

--
Chuck Lever