[fedfs-utils] Proposal for end-of-life for fedfs-utils development

Chuck Lever chuck.lever at oracle.com
Wed Aug 2 11:17:24 PDT 2017

> On Aug 2, 2017, at 10:02 AM, Chuck Lever <chuck.lever at oracle.com> wrote:
>

>> On Aug 1, 2017, at 8:40 PM, Ian Kent <raven at themaw.net> wrote:
>>
>> On 07/06/17 23:55, J. Bruce Fields wrote:
>>> So if it's not too depressing I'd be curious what went wrong--did this
>>> turn out to be harder than we thought to get stable, or are people happy
>>> enough with automounting, or did we just not do a good job of explaining
>>> it to people that might use it, or some combination of all those?
>>
>> Having had to setup a test environment to check how things work a couple of
>> times I must admit I found it a bit difficult to use. But perhaps that's
>> because a test setup needs an LDAP server and a DNS forwarding server for
>> the SRV records.
>>
>> Now I'm wondering if it would be worth adding some (quite a bit actually) of
>> this to autofs.
>>
>> The problem that comes to mind is that to eliminate the need for the FedFS
>> management utilities would mean a fair amount of work in autofs. Then there's
>> the need for an nfsref(8) that supports FedFS referrals which probably doesn't
>> quite fit in autofs and without it the rest doesn't seem worth doing.
>>
>> My thoughts about what I can do are still forming and now I'm wondering what
>> others that care about this functionality think about it.
>
> We wouldn't carry all of the FedFS functionality forward. Basically
> everything that is related to LDAP would be deprecated.
>
> There are two main pieces left.
>
> -> The DNS SRV piece needs either mount.fedfs or equivalent autofs
> functionality. The tool for managing domain roots is nothing more
> than syntactic sugar. No need to carry it forward.
>
> -> nfsref can manage basic referrals, which don't require any LDAP
> support. nfsref and the junction library could be moved into nfs-utils
> to support basic referrals.
>
> In other words the only piece autofs needs is support for /nfs4.
> The NFS-server piece would reside in nfs-utils.
>
> Walking away from all of it is an option too.

I see that openldap-server is deprecated in RHEL 7.4:

https://access.redhat.com/documentation/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/7/html/7.4_Release_Notes/chap-Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux-7.4_Release_Notes-Deprecated_Functionality.html

The FedFS LDAP components relied on openldap-server, so I
guess it's a good thing they are going away too ;-)

>> Thoughts?
>>

>>> --b.

> --
> Chuck Lever