[fedfs-utils] FedFS support in Fedora 17?

Chuck Lever chucklever at gmail.com
Mon Jul 11 23:41:11 PDT 2011

On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 3:02 PM, Jeff Layton <jlayton at redhat.com> wrote:
> FWIW, I don't think we need to have something fully production-ready and
> stable in order to ship it in Fedora 17. If it's "mostly" there then
> it's probably better to get it into people's hands so that they can
> start testing it.

Wrt merge criteria, I'm not shooting for production readiness: having
stable APIs and user interfaces doesn't necessarily mean the code
works well or is feature complete.  It means what is already there is
not likely to change, and can be built upon.

It's not useful to have people testing code that is already known not
to work, or that you know that you are going to replace soon.  I'd
rather make better use of testers by giving them code that is ready to
be tested and is intended to be supported for a while.  I'm also
interested in not frightening users off with a broken initial
implementation, or one that changes completely every release.

> If some user/admin interfaces change after we ship it, it's not the end
> of the world. It may also be also hard to predict what sort of changes
> are needed without some real-world experience with these tools.

I'd like to try to keep churn to a minimum if we can.  Naturally it
won't be practical to eliminate any changes to the APIs and user
interfaces after we release.

It's good to start exercising these issues now, but we're not in any
hurry at this point.  There aren't any FedFS-enabled file servers on
the market today.

--
"Blast this Christmas music!  It's joyful _and_ triumphant!"
 -- The Grinch