[Btrfs-devel] btrfs and git-reflog

Linus Torvalds torvalds at linux-foundation.org
Sat Jan 26 23:22:32 PST 2008

On Fri, 25 Jan 2008, Junio C Hamano wrote:

> * builtin-prune-packed.c::prune_dir() loops and unlinks (some
>   of) returned paths while in the loop.  This should not
>   interfere with readdir(3).

Correct. The "loop and unlink" behaviour is common and accepted practice,
and is, for example, what things like "rm -rf" tend to do.

It's only newly created files that may or may not show up in readdir()
after they've been created, regardless of whether they were created under
a name that was previously existed.

>   I am presuming that we can declare
>   readdir(3) implementation buggy if this happens:
>
> 	* opendir();
> 	* readdir() gives $P;
>         * unlink($P);
>         * readdir() later gives $P again.

Yes, but the potential problem is actually very different:

 - directory contains 'a', 'b' and 'c'

	* opendir()
	* readdir() returns 'a'
	  * unlink('a');
	* readdir() returns 'c', having skipped 'b'.

This is something that could in theory happen if a directory is indexed
using the *position* of a filename in a directory. 'a' was position 1, 'b'
was position 2, and 'c' was position 3. After the first readdir(), the
file position was 2 (pointing at 'b'), but when we removed 'a', the other
entries positions moved down, and now 'b' is at position 1, and 'c' is at
position '2'. When we call readdir() the next time, it skips 'b' (because
it already returned position 1!), and returns 'c'.

See? It's basically the issue of removing an entry in a linked list. And
yes, we've actually had bugs like that in our in-memory tmpfs. But they
were bugs, and they got fixed, and that's not how readdir() is supposed to
work, exactly because it makes doing an "rm -rf" very hard.

So readdir() should basically be safe wrt 'unlink()' happening while the
readdir() is running, and the only entry that can disappear is the one
that is unlinekd.

So don't worry about unlink's, it's only new files being created in the
same directory that can be problematic in that you don't know if
readdir() will return them or not..

		Linus