[Btrfs-devel] [ANNOUNCE] Btrfs v0.10 (online growing/shrinking, ext3 conversion, and more)

Chris mason chris.mason at oracle.com
Thu Jan 17 12:14:41 PST 2008

On Thursday 17 January 2008, Daniel Phillips wrote:
> On Jan 17, 2008 1:25 PM, Chris mason <chris.mason at oracle.com> wrote:
> > So, I've put v0.11 out there.  It fixes those two problems and will also
> > compile on older (2.6.18) enterprise kernels.
> >
> > v0.11 does not have any disk format changes.
>
> Hi Chris,
>
> First, massive congratulations for bringing this to fruition in such a
> short time.
>
> Now back to the regular carping: why even support older kernels?

The general answer is the backports are small and easy.  I don't test them
heavily, and I don't go out of my way to make things work.

But, they do make it easier for people to try out, and to figure how to use
all these new features to solve problems.  Small changes that enable more
testers are always welcome.

In general, the core parts of the kernel that btrfs uses haven't had many
interface changes since 2.6.18, so this isn't a huge deal.

-chris