[Btrfs-devel] btrfs performance with Maildir

Bron Gondwana brong at fastmail.fm
Wed Feb 6 21:12:07 PST 2008

On Sat, Jan 26, 2008 at 11:18:31PM +1100, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> On Fri, Jan 18, 2008 at 08:46:23AM -0500, Chris mason wrote:
> > On Thursday 17 January 2008, Bron Gondwana wrote:
> > > Just as a random datapoint, Maildir access (read only) via mutt feels
> > > much more sluggish than on 0.5, which is the last release of btrfs I
> > > played with.  The Maildirs have just been created by using rsync to
> > > copy them from my usual reiserfs partition.  It's still massively
> > > slower than reiserfs for the Maildir access pattern that I have.
> >
> > With atimes on or off?  What is the maildir access pattern?  The backrefs make
> > it possible to do a bunch of interesting readdir optimizations.
>
> That's a point, mounted btrfs as "default" but reiserfs is
> noatime,nodiratime.  I'll go add a noatime to the btrfs mount
> options and try that.

It didn't help noticably, and neither did 0.11, however 0.12
is looking good so far (I left my laptop at home today, so I'm
accessing it over an ssh link which makes getting a real feel
for behaviour harder - but it is significantly quicker.)

As a rough guide I'd say mailboxes with a few new messages load
about 5-10 times as fast - which is really quite a big change!

Bron ( happy )