[Btrfs-devel] btrfs on /

Chris Mason chris.mason at oracle.com
Wed Feb 6 06:02:19 PST 2008

On Wednesday 06 February 2008, Jan Engelhardt wrote:
> On Feb 5 2008 21:36, Christian Hesse wrote:
> >* btrfs seems to bring some latency problems. Sound skips from time to
> > time and the mouse pointer jumps on heavy disk io. I will try to find the
> > reason for this problem.
>
> It currently uses the BKL so that seems "normal" right now.

Latencies in btrfs aren't horribly surprising, although the code in the
btrfs-unstable tree (which changes the disk format) should be much better.

But, Btrfs doesn't use the BKL, it uses a single mutex per mounted FS.
That alone should not cause mouse pointer jumps, since it is not a spinlock.

I hope to cut a release of btrfs-unstable shortly, since it has a number of
bug fixes and lots of speedups.

-chris