[rds-devel] checklist for rds configuration/parameters

Santosh Shilimkar santosh.shilimkar at oracle.com
Tue Oct 18 11:37:04 PDT 2016

On 10/18/2016 12:56 AM, Balakrishnan Chandrasekaran wrote:
> Hi ,
>
> We have dbhosts connected with infiniband for interconnect.
>
> Below is my rds-ping output.
>

> # rds-ping 192.168.14.87
>
>    1: 107 usec
>
>    2: 92 usec
>
>    3: 84 usec
>
>    4: 90 usec
>
>    5: 103 usec
>
>    6: 65 usec
>
>    7: 77 usec
>
>    8: 120 usec
>

> Configuration wise, did just this :
>
> ran mlnxofedinstall
>
> echo 4194304 > /proc/sys/net/core/rmem_default   &  rmem_max.
>

> Is there a check list which I can go over to make sure I have all the
> ducks in the row?
>
> Is there a thumb rule/ball park figure for what should be the latency
> for rds-ping for FDR, EDR, QDR etc?
>

> We are using mellanox CS7520 switch.

Before we get into specifics, can you please clarify below...
1. What usecase you are trying to use RDS for ?
2. Is this RHEL or OL distribution ?
3. If its OL, what kernel are you using, RHCK or UEK ?
4. Any reason to use Mellanox OFED stack ?
5. What HCA have you installed on the HOST ?

Regards,
Santosh