[rds-devel] RDS: updates for net-next

Andy Grover andy.grover at oracle.com
Tue Jun 9 10:42:11 PDT 2009

Or Gerlitz wrote:
> Andy Grover wrote:
>> Too big a change for getting into 2.6.31 -- the 2.6.32 net-next window
>> could be open as soon as 2-3 weeks (right after 2.6.31-rc1 comes out)
>> so I was hoping to shoot for that, as well as ofed 1.5 of course
> I'm not sure what you mean by too big for 2.6.31 - as the .31 merge
> window hasn't opened yet and even when this starts, it lasts for two
> weeks. Did you mean that adding them on top of what you already pushed
> to .31 is too much? so what's makes it ready for ofed? Please take into
> account, that any patch that would come to fix a regression introduced
> by patches merged for .31-rc1 would be accepted for .31-rc2,3,etc. As
> for the patchset itself, I took a look on them and it seems that 5, 6
> and 7 are related to debugging and readability of the code, 1 and 2 and
> to large extend  3, 4 and 9 as well are small/local changes.

Remember I'm not targeting Linus' merge window, I'm targeting DaveM's,
which is earlier -- he likes to have all the new stuff sitting in his
net-next for a while before Linus' merge window opens. That branch adds
TCP support that I basically revived from git, and haven't tested beyond
a ping test. It needs more testing and have checkpatch.pl errors fixed.
I expect DaveM's .32 net-next tree will be opening by July so that's
pretty soon, and we'll be in the pipeline for .32.

> Looking forward, lets max the effort to enable distros which are to be
> released in the next months/quarters (e.g FC11, RHEL6, OEL6, SLES11 SP1,
> etc) to base their RDS code on mainline bits and not on other venues,
> thoughts?

None of these will be using 2.6.31 anyways :)

Hey a question for you: the rds IB wire protocol changed between ofed
1.3 and 1.4. RDS in OFED 1.4.1 has compatibility code to talk to 1.3
hosts but what's in mainline doesn't. Do you think I should also get
that into mainline, or should mainline just pretend RDS prior to 1.4
never existed?

Regards -- Andy