[rds-devel] rds modularization question

Andy Grover andy.grover at oracle.com
Wed Feb 11 17:18:57 PST 2009

Hi Steve,

I've just pushed my latest to future/20090211.

So after starting with everything in rds.ko, and then splitting out IB
and IW into their own modules rds_ib and rds_iw.ko, it's now back to
rds.ko and rds_rdma.ko, the latter of which combines both ib and iw
transports. I've put some explanatory text for this in 365d8d2's
comments, but basically they can't be totally separate -- they need to
share some CM event-listening code.

You asked, why not go all the way back and just have rds.ko that
includes everything?

Well, we're planning on having other transports very soon -- I'd say
within 3-6 months. Once that happens we probably want them as separate
modules... but for now, with just one, it looks kinda lonely. Should we
compile it into rds.ko (and then break out again when there are more),
or leave it free-standing?

Anyone else have any thoughts on this?

Thanks -- Regards -- Andy