[rds-devel] testing with RDS on the mainline kernel

Olaf Kirch olaf.kirch at oracle.com
Thu May 15 08:39:55 PDT 2008

On Thursday 15 May 2008 16:58:26 Or Gerlitz wrote:
> Olaf Kirch wrote:
> > Indeed, it seems it's no longer exported in 2.6.26 :-( I guess all you
> > can do here is do a copy-and-paste and send email to netdev.
> I see now this commit, there's no way lkml/netdev would want to hear on
> problems related to non merged driver! Can you spare few words on why
> rds needs move_addr_to_kernel() is it some optimization to avoid calling
> kmap()?

move_addr_to_kernel is a rather small helper that essentially does
a copy_from_user() of a struct sockaddr *. It's used in the
RDS_CANCEL_SENT_TO setsockopt.

I agree on the netdev part - so I guess all you can do here is
indeed copy this function to your RDS code base. It's really
just 8 lines of code; you can find it in net/socket.c

Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch  |  --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
okir at lst.de |    / | \   sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax