[rds-devel] testing with RDS on the mainline kernel

Olaf Kirch olaf.kirch at oracle.com
Wed May 14 08:09:12 PDT 2008

On Wednesday 14 May 2008 16:26:29 Or Gerlitz wrote:
> On Wed, 14 May 2008, Or Gerlitz wrote:
> > in sync with your tree?!). The following two patches fix the compilation errors
> > but I am remained with call to move_addr_to_kernel() which is not exported. How
> > does it work on older kernels? is this function being exported there? any idea
> > how to avoid this problem?
>
> OK, I commented out the call to move_addr_to_kernel() and tried to load
> the module, but it fails with:
>
> [linux-2.6.26-rc2]# insmod net/rds/rds.ko
> insmod: error inserting 'net/rds/rds.ko': -1 Cannot allocate memory

Maybe this is the sk_alloc problem I pointed out in my other mail?
Else you'll need some printks.

> sysctl table check failed: /net/rds .3.9912 Unknown sysctl binary path
> Pid: 8653, comm: insmod Not tainted 2.6.26-rc2 #1

There are two issues here with sysctl.

the "unknown binary path" happens because the new sysctl check code
no longer allows you to do recursive sysctl registrations anymore.
You now need to do a lot of funky stuff involving path structs
and so on - I look at it briefly and haven't grokked it fully yet.
I'd ignore the issue for now and hard-code af_rds and sol_rds in your
test app, just so that you can go ahead with your testing.

Olaf
--
Olaf Kirch  |  --- o --- Nous sommes du soleil we love when we play
okir at lst.de |    / | \   sol.dhoop.naytheet.ah kin.ir.samse.qurax