[rds-devel] Re: Kernel panic after insmod rds.ko

Zach Brown zach.brown at oracle.com
Thu Nov 9 08:17:37 PST 2006

Carl Yang (caryang) wrote:
> Zach,
>
> I checked out the code and compile it according to the README
> instruction.  However, when I tried to insmod rds.ko (HP proliant  DL140
> G3), I got the following kernel panic.  Can you please take a look and
> see if you can shed any light on it?

RDS uses per-cpu data structures in a module.  module.c has a BUG()
which insists that per-cpu data is aligned but the linker script didn't
used to align the per-cpu data section.  This has been fixed in mainline
but hasn't hit the distros yet.

	http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/1/27/256
	http://lkml.org/lkml/2006/1/27/255

- z