[rds-devel] Infiniband

Zach Brown zach.brown at oracle.com
Fri May 26 12:00:31 CDT 2006

Beukes, Wiekus wrote:

> I have checked out the trunk code but I see currently it only supports
> Ethernet…

Well, it currently supports TCP as the sole underlying transport so
it'll run over anything TCP does, including IPoIB :)

> I was wondering what the plans was for Infiniband

It's my next priority after getting the TCP support stable.  That's
nearing completion, so I'll probably start on the IB side in a small
number of weeks.

> and also if
> you are planning to support RDMA

This version of the RDS socket API doesn't expose RDMA support to
applications.  sendmsg() and recvmsg() copy for now.  The plan is to
support zero copy, async operations, and direct data placement at some
point in the future but the specifics haven't been decided.

> and link fail-over with the driver?

Yes, link fail-over will be supported in the upcoming IB transport.

- z