[Oracleasm-users] ASMLib and Overland Storage SAN

Diane Petersen diane.e.petersen at gmail.com
Thu Jan 22 10:35:33 PST 2009

Hello -

I'm working with a 2 node 11g RAC cluster that went live 2 weeks ago. We've
been experiencing extremely high i/o waits on the disks that house the ASM
datafiles, performance has been terrible. The cpu load on both nodes is < 1
most of the time, and they are 2ea - quad core 2.83ghz Xeons - very fast.

The SAN is from Overland Storage and contains 14ea 400G drives in a RAID 10
configuration. We're using ASMLib oracleasm-2.6.18-92.1.17.el5-2.0.5-1.el5
and I'm starting to wonder if it's not recommended or compatible with this
SAN?

I remember long ago EMC did not certify their SAN storage with ASMLib (2.4
kernels) so we just used Linux i/o.

Does anyone know if Overland Storage SAN arrays are ok to use with ASMLib
and the Linux 2.6 kernel. I'm also contacting Overland directly (thought
this had already been done prior to the purchase) but I'm having trouble
finding the right person/engineer or group that knows anything about Oracle
and ASMLib. I've checked Metalink certify section and couldn't find anything
about Overland.

Any suggestions or ideas would be helpful.

Thanks,
Diane Petersen