[Oracleasm-users] Oracle ASMLib and IBM SDD

Joel Becker Joel.Becker at oracle.com
Fri Jun 3 18:24:08 CDT 2005

On Fri, Jun 03, 2005 at 05:41:10PM -0500, heath seals wrote:
> [root at host bin]# /usr/sbin/asmtool -C -l /dev/oracleasm -n VOL1 -s /dev/vpathaa1
>
> asmtool: Device "/dev/vpathaa1" is not a partition

	Can you strace the program?

[root at host bin]# strace -f -o /tmp/log usr/sbin/asmtool -C -l /dev/oracleasm -n VOL1 -s /dev/vpathaa1

	I wonder if the vpath code doesn't honor the HDIO_GETGEO
ioctl(2), which is how "partitioness" is determined.  There should be
two calls to ioctl(2) in that log.  One will be LOOP_GET_STATUS, which
should fail, and the other will be HDIO_GETGEO.  If that's failing, it
explains a lot.
	If that is the case, IBM will have to fix their driver (don't
worry, I can help you work around it for now).

Joel

--

Life's Little Instruction Book #396

	"Never give anyone a fruitcake."