[Oracleasm-devel] Major code reorganization

Joel Becker Joel.Becker at oracle.com
Thu Jul 6 20:49:45 CDT 2006

Folks,
	I don't know if anyone is even paying attention out there, but
if you are...'hi'!
	I've just committed a major reorganization of the oracleasm
source code.  The actual source hasn't changed, just the layout of the
files.
	What's happened?

1) Most importantly, the support tools have been moved to their own
   Subversion repository and project.  It's at
   http://oss.oracle.com/projects/oracleasm-support/.  This is so I can
   decouple the changes that happen to the driver and the changes that
   happen to the tools.  Arguably this should have happened a long time
   ago.
2) The tools package can now build against the driver package
   independant of location.  The usual configure stuff.
3) The driver package now has support for modern kernels and can detect
   both old and new kernels.

	What hasn't changed?

1) If you want oracleasm 2.0.2 drivers and tools, the RPMs are at
   http://otn.oracle.com/tech/linux/asmlib/.  If you want to
   self-compile 2.0.2 drivers and tools, the tarball is in the same old
   place.
2) If you want official support, use the RPMs.  If you want something
   expected to work, use the RPMs or last release source (the 2.0.2).
   When new code happens, that's when the production side will actually
   see effects of these changes.

	Core point: this is development, even if mostly maintenance
mode, so it's interesting to people following trunk but mostly
irrelevant if you are following releases :-)

Joel
--

"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education."
        - Mark Twain

Joel Becker
Principal Software Developer
Oracle