[Ocfs2-users] Problem w/ OCFS2 on RHEL5

John Twyman j.twyman at geosci.usyd.edu.au
Mon Jan 28 21:10:56 PST 2008

Hi folks,

I've just started looking into ocfs2 as a means of allowing shared
storage on our iSCSI raid box for two of our servers. My intention is to
use linux-ha to provide highly available services (eg. samba) with ocfs2
guaranteeing safe shared access to disk space. It seems straightforward
but I've run into a problem on one of the two servers.

Both servers are running RHEL 5 with the 2.6.18-53.1.4.el5 kernel.
They're identical in terms of hardware and iSCSI is working properly on
both. I've downloaded and installed the three ocfs2 RPMS (ocfs2,
ocfs2-tools and ocfs2console) successfully.

Following the instructions in the User's Guide I then type the following:

[root at host1 OCFS2]# /etc/init.d/o2cb status
Module "configfs": Not loaded
Filesystem "configfs": Not mounted
Module "ocfs2_nodemanager": Not loaded
Module "ocfs2_dlm": Not loaded
Module "ocfs2_dlmfs": Not loaded
Filesystem "ocfs2_dlmfs": Not mounted

[root at host1 OCFS2]# /etc/init.d/o2cb load
Mounting configfs filesystem at /sys/kernel/config: OK
Mounting ocfs2_dlmfs filesystem at /dlm: OK

All looking good but I run into problems on host2:

[root at host2 OCFS2]# /etc/init.d/o2cb status
Module "configfs": Not loaded
Filesystem "configfs": Not mounted
Module "ocfs2_nodemanager": Not loaded
Module "ocfs2_dlm": Not loaded
Module "ocfs2_dlmfs": Not loaded
Filesystem "ocfs2_dlmfs": Not mounted
[root at host2 OCFS2]# /etc/init.d/o2cb load
Mounting configfs filesystem at /sys/kernel/config: OK
Mounting ocfs2_dlmfs filesystem at /dlm: mount: block device ocfs2_dlmfs
is write-protected, mounting read-only
mount: cannot mount block device ocfs2_dlmfs read-only
Unable to mount ocfs2_dlmfs filesystem
Failed

This, I'm afraid, leaves me stumped. I'm not sure how best to proceed.

I've updated the RHEL5 kernel to 2.6.18-53.1.6.el5 and built rpms from
source for ocfs2 but to no avail. I get exactly the same problem on the
same host.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I might proceed? Any help would be
greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
John

--