[Ocfs2-users] OCFS2 and LVM2

Alexei_Roudnev Alexei_Roudnev at exigengroup.com
Mon Feb 26 10:56:24 PST 2007

You must understand how LVM2 works. It is all STATIC system, so it ALWAYS
can be used in cluster until you don't change metadata. Think about LVM as
about partitions on the disk - you can use partitions with OCFS, so you can
use LVM with OCFS (but you can't change partitions online).

You can create LVM2 volumes using one node, then restart other nodes (and
let them to scan disks) and they will see these volume(s). Then you can use
it as you wish.
But to change volumes, you will:
- stop all nodes but one
- update LVM2 volume on this node
- start other nodes

So, you CAN use LVM2 but you CAN NOT change metadata online while cluster
have more than 1 running node (running node - running OS, stopping OCFS is
not enough).

PS. You don't need to create volumes on a few nodes. What you must do is to
create volumes on ONE node and run vgscan or (boot.lvm start) on all other
nods (so they recognize your volumes).

I recommend to look onto EVMS integrated with OCFSv2 (by SuSe), as a
possible alternative.