[Ocfs-users] I'd like to stop the OCSF2_disk_heart_beat.

Sunil Mushran sunil.mushran at oracle.com
Wed Apr 15 11:30:37 PDT 2009

The disk heartbeat is the node liveness detection component in o2cb
(ocfs2's native cluster stack). If you want to run it like a local fs,
say ext3, then you can use tunefs.ocfs2 to change the mount type to local.
That will disable the hb thread.

But that's not what you want. You want to run in clustered mode, but
only disable the hb thread when one node is active. If I am understanding
you correctly.

If so, then the solution maybe found in one of the userspace clusterstacks,
pacemaker or cman. In 2.6.26 or so, we added support for userspace cluster
stacks. Novell is about to ship SLES11 HA that will showcase ocfs2 with
pacemaker (novell's cluster stack). Sometime next year, we'll have the same
on (rh)el6 - ocfs2 with cman. These two cluster stacks have been known to
have config setting that does not require disk heartbeat. Or atleast allows
users to setup one disk as the quorum disk and not have the hb on all disks.
That may satisfy your requirements.

Sunil