[Ocfs-users] MAX_LUNS SIZE LIMIT ON RHEL 3.0 and 4.0

shankar jayaganapathy shankar.jayaganapathy at oracle.com
Thu May 12 16:20:58 CDT 2005

Dear List Users-

IHAC planning storage layout and is looking for the following MAX_LUNS
size limit on RHEL 3.0 and 4.0. Details are below. Customer database
size is estimated to grow to 5 TB and worries that they will not be able
to present enough devices to the system if used with EMC powerpath and
RHEL 3.0 max_lun limitations. I have advised on using OCFS or ASM as
this is a 10g Database to avoid raw device limitations. In any case,
answer to "max_luns" should appease the customer. Any info will be
appreciated.

Please copy me on your replies to the group.

Thanks,

-sj

SERVER SUMMARY:

HP Itanium 2
rx4640
HBA INFO... (two different numbers for the same card)
HP PART #A6826A
QLOGIC Model #Q2342A
Dual Ported HBA (4 ports total, with 2 going to the DMX)

RESEARCH DETAIL

As per EMC PowerPath expert - PowerPath could handle any number of SCSI
devices and that the limitation would be either an OS or an HBA driver
limitation.

According to RedHat - Modify /etc/modules.conf file which states
"max_luns=".  This is normally 128, but can be changed to 256 to support
256 SCSI devices.  Will a higher number for "max_luns" be supported on
RHEL 3 update 4 or RHEL 4?

QLOGIC - A QLOGIC engineer stated that there can only be 256 devices
seen per HBA which follows the fibre channel standard of 256 devices per
channel.  Because we are multipathing, that number would be cut in half
to 128 unique devices per HBA (2 paths per actual LUN device).  Since we
have 2 HBA's that we will be using for the DMX, we will have 128 devices
per HBA port, or 256 total unique devices.  In short, this means that
the OS will be are limiting factor, not the HBA.

--

 Shankar Jayaganapathy
 Partner Solutions Group
 Technology Business Unit