[Ocfs-users] Re: About compression of files on OCFS

Drew McCarthy drew.mccarthy at oracle.com
Mon Aug 1 04:52:20 CDT 2005

Kenichiro,
When you write  to an OCFS partition you need your application to use
the O_DIRECT flag which causes the write to bypass the kernel cache.
Therefore if your compression tool is capable of using the O_DIRECT flag
it should be able to write to an OCFS partition.

I did a quick search on gzip and could not find any information that
indicates it can use the O_DIRECT flag, based on this quick search I
would say that you cannot use gzip to compress files on an OCFS partition.
If you perform a search on any other compression algorithm and it does
not allow you to use O_DIRECT then you can assume it wont work with OCFS.

--
Regards Drew

Drew McCarthy
Senior Principal Solution Consultant
Oracle On Demand - Australia

Phone           +61 3 8616 4135
Fax             +61 3 9699 1259
Mobile          +61 414 637 473

AIM             GuinessMagic

Oracle Corporation
Level 7, 324 St Kilda Road
Melbourne, VIC
Australia 3004

This communication contains information which is confidential and may
also be privileged.  It is for the exclusive use of the intended
recipient(s).
If you are not the intended recipient(s), please note that any
distribution, copying or use of this communication or the information in it is
strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please
notify the sender immediately and then destroy any copies of it.