[Ocfs-users] A couple more minor questions about OCFS and RHE L3

Derek Suzuki DSuzuki at ZipRealty.com
Thu Apr 22 10:48:28 CDT 2004

	Sort of a followup...
	We've been running OCFS in sync mode for a little over a month now,
and it has worked reasonably well.  Performance is still a bit spotty, but
we're told that the next kernel update for RHEL3 should improve the
situation.  We might eventually move to Polyserve's cluster filesystem for
its multipathing capability and potentially better performance, but at least
we have a stable, functioning platform for the time being.
	My DBA still wants to try async mode with OCFS.  We followed your
recommendations for using dd to recreate the logfiles to be contiguous on
disk (if we don't do that, they always seem to come up with two
non-contiguous extents) and are doing some testing.  We were, however,
wondering what kind of symptoms would appear if we were to trigger the
non-contiguous aio problem that you have described.  We weren't sure if it
would result in an immediate failure, or if it would trigger silent
corruption that we wouldn't notice until much later.
	We are also considering the possibility of using OCFS for our
datafiles and raw devices for the redologs.  In theory that ought to
eliminate the problem entirely.  It's easy enough to reconstruct individual
logfiles with dd, but I'd be worried that someone might forget to do that
while building a new database or restoring a dataset from backups.

	Anyway, I wanted to thank you and Sunil again for all of the helpful
info you've provided us during our RAC deployment.  Circumstances forced us
to go live sooner than we would have liked, and we needed all the help we
could get to get everything working.

Derek