[Ocfs-users] ocfs performance

Wim Coekaerts wim.coekaerts at oracle.com
Thu Jul 10 09:52:44 CDT 2003

we have benchmarks that show the perfomranec of ocfs for database io
that show clearly that we are at the same speed as raw access.
this is not a comparison done by using dd, but by running oracle
benchmarks.

in fact, even tho ext3 for instance is faster becuase it can do buffered
reads and cheat if you have lots of free memory, it doesn't scale up and
at some point levels off and  raw/ocfs gain rappidly.

I will post this on the website some time as well, the performance group
is polishing the report.

1.0.2 vs 1.0.9 is a huge difference, io definitely has improved, quite a
bit but not to the pointwhere 1.0.2 was "slow" and this is "fast" even
1.0.2 had decent pure db io. (again, doing a dd to check performance for
instance will not show that type of stuff)

you should probabyl also use e.24 or e.25 of as2.1 as it fixes a number
of vm problems with filesystems, ocfs just ran into it faster since we
have a smaller blocksize (512 vs 4k) so some of the cp problems where
the system would hang after a period of time are actual vm bugs

in general you want to use cp --o_direct etc,
we just recently fixed a multinode locking problem that could cause
nother hang, and we fixed a mv bug where mv would start doing a cp
insted of just rename

Wim