[linux-sparc-users] packages for a VNC desktop?

Richard L. Hamilton rlhamil at smart.net
Wed May 3 17:45:24 PDT 2017

Ok, I can find Xvnc, various GNOME packages, gdm, xdm, etc.  But I don't see any packages with e.g. rc scripts and relevant configuration to tie it all together, so that a session that someone can just log into (via a VNC viewer client somewhere) and use, can be automatically started (such that anyone with an account could initially log in).

Am I missing something in my hunt for the appropriate package, or do I have to scrounge non-packaged rc scripts, and tweak configuration files, etc?  If the latter, hints, please.  There's something I want to run (hercules) that requires multiple 3270 emulator windows plus a window (xterm or equivalent) for hercules itself.  I could probably use "screen" with multiple virtual terminals under it, but that would be seriously ugly, and the startup (first of hercules, then of the c3270 sessions to talk to it) probably couldn't be scripted, at least not without getting even uglier.

I think I've got all the other pieces in place; got hercules compiled (and have a configuration for it that sort of works on other boxes, although networking is problematic on non-Linux OSs), scrounged tunctl, installed bridge-utils, put an ethernet card in the box so I can assign some physical (rather than virtual, which can't do promiscuous) interfaces to the LDOM, etc.  This may be the final piece to finally get my virtual baby mainframe toy up and running.  Sometimes I get nostalgic for PL/I, a full-screen 3270 editor, etc. :-)

Heck, I have an XVR-300 and an extra USB card in the T5240; if there's a Linux driver for that, I could in principle assign those to the LDOM and run a physical X session, given the pieces, but I'd rather put that on my legacy Solaris 10 LDOM (don't ask me why, but I like CDE better than GNOME).