[Kernelfeatures-devel] highpmd-2.6.9

William Lee Irwin III wli at holomorphy.com
Sat Nov 20 02:39:33 CST 2004

On Wed, Nov 17, 2004 at 01:33:00PM -0800, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
> highpmd-2.6.9 should be available from:
> http://oss.oracle.com/~wli/
> 	and
> ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/wli/vm/highpmd/
> This patch is an analogue of highpte for upper levels of pagetables.
> OAST on 32-bit i386 PAE systems for the 2.6.7 version showed it
> provided an approximately 40% client capacity increase without any
> negative performance impact on client loads sustained by mainline.

Just to be sure it handled a light (for it) workload, I verified that
highpmd-2.6.9 successfully runs OAST with 6000 users on an 8x P-IV HP
Proliant with 32GB RAM. The stress test completed successfully. The
2.6.7 version completed runs with as many as 10000 users off fresh boots.

Some performance measurements came out of it, of course, but these
are not particularly meaningful without baselines and the like.
Rather, these results are only meant to indicate a stability level.

-- wli