[Firewire-users] Problem while doing modprobe on sbp2 on second RAC node

Bruce Carter bruce.carter at oracle.com
Sun Mar 7 23:12:28 CST 2004

It appears that is pot luck whether you get a drive that works ok as Wim has
commented in the past.

My early Western Digital 120 GB drive works but later ones don't.

My model number is WD1200B002.

Latest reports from friends and acquaintances suggest the LaCie 120Gb drives
work as well.

We used to think is was something about the Oxford 911 chipset and others
but as all the drives mentioned above have 911 chipsets it can't be that
unless it's firmware revisions.

Remember none of the manufacturers say you can share the drive.  And the
reason they don't say this that they concentrate on Windows.

On Windows you can't share the drive anyway because the OHC1394 controller
software and SBP2 emulation is Microsoft propriatary and always tries to
gain exclusive access to the disk.

So we have our horizons limited by an operating system has no imagination
and is not open and a bunch of manufacturers who know where the market is (I
don't blame them for that).

I think the fact that some drives do work is pure serendipity.

I have mails in with Western Digital and Oxford Semiconductors to see if I
can resolve this.

I await responses.

In the meantime look for drives that support Linux or MAC OS.  This is no
guarantee but you can see no one who supports only Windows has any motive to
implement drive sharing.

Regards

Bruce