[Firewire-users] Firewire Patch for RedHat Advanced Server 2.1 (2.4.9-e40)

Manish Singh manish.singh at oracle.com
Fri Jun 4 20:08:33 CDT 2004

On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 01:45:31AM +0200, Laurent Cossin wrote:
> We plan to setup a 10g RAC with 2 nodes and one shared storage (external
> Firewire disk)
>
> We are looking for the Firewire Kernel Patch for RedHat Advanced Server 2.1.
>
> Where can we download this patch ?
>
> On oss.oracle.com, the Firewire kernel patch are available for kernel
> 2.4.20 or 2.4.21.

There isn't one. 2.4.9 is too ancient to support a non-buggy firewire
stack. I maintained the 2.4.20 kernels (which is the Red Hat 9 kernel
shoehorned into working with AS 2.1) for a while, but those are no
longer maintained.

I switched to patching the RHEL3 kernel because I can have binary
compitibility with the standard RHEL3 kernel, which means no special
builds for OCFS, and any QA against RHEL3 is valid on the firewire
kernel. These kernels also happen to work on Fedora Core 1 (and probably
Fedora Core 2, but I haven't tested it) for those wanting a free distro
to test on.

If you *really* want to use AS 2.1, the old kernels are in the "old"
directory on the firewire project site. But I don't recommend it.

-Manish