[Firewire-users] Oracle RAC on RHEL3 or WBEL3

Josh Hildebrand josh at newgistics.com
Wed Feb 18 10:26:54 CST 2004

This mailing list doesn't seem to get much (if any) traffic, so I'm not sure
who is out there.  I thought it couldn't hurt to spark a conversation.

I'm tasked with testing out an Oracle RAC solution this quarter.  I need to
get some hardware ordered, and I'm curious if people out there wouldn't mind
helping me determine what the "best bang for your buck" out there is with
regard to:

Large Firewire hard drive that's compatible w/ at least 2 nodes and sbp2.
Firewire PCI controllers (compatible for this solution)

Also, I've been reading up Werner Pushitz's site (http://www.puschitz.com)
and have been floored with his installation details.  Totally fantastic.
However, I want to combine two of his articles and make Oracle 9i RAC on
RHEL3.  Actually, I plan on putting it on either White Box EL, or CentOS 3,
since this is just for a test environment.  Obviously production would get a
real SAN and RHEL3.  Does anyone have any tips on putting RAC on a couple of
WBEL3/RHEL3 boxes?  I see that Manish Singh released new kernels for RHEL3
to include the firewire clustering code.  So, it must be feasible.

Thanks in advance!

--
Josh Hildebrand
Senior Network Engineer