[Firewire-users] 711 and 712 chipsets

Manish Singh manish.singh at oracle.com
Mon Apr 26 21:49:21 CDT 2004

On Sun, Apr 25, 2004 at 08:45:57PM -0400, Brian Zammit wrote:
> Hi again list,
>
> I saw previous messages saying chipset alone does not determine if this
> code will work. Is there a list of chipsets this _should_ work for, or
> hardware it is verified to work with?

I haven't had a chance to do up a known good list yet. Oxford 911 disk
chipsets work. Some maxtor's are known to work. Typically USB/Firewire
combo drives do *not* work.

PPA makes a firewire-only disk enclosure which we've been using with
success. There's another brand whose name escapes me at the moment, I'll
look it up tomorrow.

The firewire cards also matter. Ironically, the PPA branded pcmcia cards
do not work. Most PCI addon cards work, though there was one someone had
that gave a strange error. I don't have brand info on these. For laptops,
cards made by SIIG and Orange Micro are known to work.

-Manish