[DTrace-devel] Git repo with DTrace support patches

Tomasz Kłoczko kloczko.tomasz at gmail.com
Fri Jan 19 16:19:24 UTC 2024

On Fri, 19 Jan 2024 at 15:13, Kris Van Hees <kris.van.hees at oracle.com>
wrote:
[..]

As of DTrace 2.0.0 there is no kernel space portion anymore - the current

https://github.com/oracle/dtrace-kernel no longer exists and shows 404.

> BTW mentioned in README.md for examople
> https://yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux
> > /OL9/UEKR7/x86_64/ contains kernel and user space binary packages but
> https://
> > yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL9/UEKR7/SRPMS do not exist.
> > Some of those packages are distributed under GPL licenses so the source
> version
> > should be distributable as well.
>
> There is no requirement to provide SRPMS since the entire kernel tree with
> the
> add-on patches is available from the github repo mentioned in ther
> README.md:
> https://github.com/oracle/dtrace-linux-kernel

In the case of user space tools my understanding is that OL versions have
some patches for USDT providers/probes.

[..]

> > Latest version dtrace-utils is 2.0.0-1.13.2 which is unacceptable for
> rpm as
> > version string.
> > Why 2.13.2 is not used?
>
> When we started the reworking of DTrace based on existing kernel tracing
> features rather than using a more invasive set of kernel patches and
> modules,
> we decided not to start a true numbering in a 1.x series until we had
> better
> version parity with the previous version.  As we approach that, the
> numbering
> is set to change very soon.
>
> However, the fact that OL has been using the existing numbering scheme for
> few years now clearly shows that it is actually valid for RPMs.  As you can
> see in the dtrace.spec file, 2.0.0 is the actual version number, and 1.13.2
> is the release number.

Which is kind of odd ..
Releases are usually reserved for the packaging layer.

I can inderstansthat DTrace 2.x.x is the actual major version line of
implementation of DTrace for Linux which is purely implemented on top
of generic kernel probes so logically would be used as *version *strong
2.13.2.

kloczek
--
Tomasz Kłoczko | LinkedIn: http://lnkd.in/FXPWxH