[DTrace-devel] profile provider

eugene.loh at oracle.com eugene.loh at oracle.com
Sun Jun 28 23:23:19 PDT 2020

I sent out a 5-patch set a while back for a profile provider and got
a lot of feedback.  This 11-patch set is again for a profile provider,
incorporating the feedback and doing a couple of other minor things.
Here is an overview:

0001-Change-use-of-dtrace_probe_iter.patch
0002-slight-code-refactoring-to-eliminate-gratuitous-diff.patch
0003-Other-provider-cleanup.patch
0004-Add-ability-to-provide-user-specified-probes-on-dema.patch
    These patches are basically part of what was sent out before.
    There was a little bit of review.  E.g., 0002 included
    some code movement Kris did not like, while he gave his
    Reviewed-by to 0003.  Stuff like that.  I am simply
    sending them out again.  They are not the focus of this
    round.

0005-Make-a-provider-specific-attach.patch
0006-Add-provider-dependent-struct-in-dt_probe_t.patch
    These two set up some infrastructure to supply some
    provider-dependent functions per Kris's feedback.
    They are needed for the profile provider.

0007-Set-interrupt-signal-handler-earlier.patch
0008-Fix-test-unittest-providers-tst.dtrace_cleanup.sh.patch
    These are to handle the case where we need to clean up
    some probes in a provider-dependent fashion, but the
    dtrace process was interrupted.  They probably need to
    be squashed back into 0003, but I'm still trying to
    understand some test results before I might think I'm
    getting this right.

0009-Add-a-profile-provider.patch
0010-Move-tests-from-XFAIL-to-PASS-due-to-addition-of-pro.patch
    This is the patch with the profile provider and the patch
    that updates the tests.  They should probably be squashed
    together after review.

0011-Defer-creation-of-uprobes-and-kprobes-for-dtrace-and.patch
    This defers creation of uprobes and kprobes, in response
    to some feedback from Kris.  There are some test results I
    need to understand further before I think I'm getting this
    right.

I believe Kris is making some big changes that might conflict
with the above patches.  So, it might be nice to get some feedback,
but the changes will probably have to be rebased once Kris finishes
his work.