[DTrace-devel] test FAILs with "5d3365d7 First implementation of the printf action"

Eugene Loh eugene.loh at oracle.com
Tue Jul 14 16:21:13 PDT 2020

Starting with the above patch, I get consistent FAILs with

         test/unittest/actions/printf/tst.conv_a.d
         test/unittest/builtinvar/tst.hpriority.d
         test/unittest/builtinvar/tst.lwpsinfo1.d
         test/unittest/inline/tst.InlineTypedef.d
         test/unittest/lexer/tst.keyword-member.d
         test/unittest/printf/tst.str.d

The first one does a "printf("%a", &`max_pfn)" and prints
"vmlinux`max_pfn" (which one would expect from the documentation or
DTv1) but the .r file expects "{ptr}".  How could this test ever have
PASSed?

The remaining five FAIL because BPF complains of an invalid memory
access, presumably because we're asking BPF to dereference pointers it
does not recognize.  I assume we do not yet support access to kernel
variables like that, and the tests used to PASS since they didn't do
anything and didn't check anything but now they are trying to do something.

What I'm trying to figure out is if this patch was put back with FAILing
tests (and a new test that was broken).  I don't understand.