cannot write to file

Glauber Costa glommer at redhat.com
Mon Oct 13 09:59:05 PDT 2008

On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 04:29:11PM -0300, Glauber Costa wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 03, 2008 at 12:17:21PM -0700, Zach Brown wrote:
> >
> > > I'm trying, but strace segfaults and generates no output. I'm just doing a naive
> > > echo "glommer" > crfs-mnt-point/file
> >
> > which works fine over here, so I think it's due to my development kernel
> > being older.  I'll upgrade my universe and work in your patch to get it
> > building on newer kernels.
>
> It may be.
>
> I looked at the file later on, and it seems that the data is correctly written to the file
> So it's probably just the transaction that is screwed up.

Ok, I looked into that further, and am getting closer to the point. However, I won't have available
time to look into any of it this week, so I'm just throwing my conclusions here. Maybe you have
a big picture of what's going on.

It's most probably a stack corruption somewhere, caused by one of the callees of
crfs_commit_write. Everything is fine before that, and screwed up later.

The value that skips through the stack is the same value of the crc computed to the data.

You probably don't see it because it is very tricky. printks makes the bug disappear in a lot of
times.

Please let me know whether or not there's something you suspect of, otherwise I'll go back to this
sometime next week.