a quick update

Zach Brown zach.brown at oracle.com
Tue Aug 5 12:36:14 PDT 2008

Hi gang.  I just wanted to send a little note to let everyone know where
I am with CRFS.

I spent time recently getting all the posix unit tests in the "pjd"
passing.  A lot of bugs got squished there.

Next up is fsx.  As it turns out, getting this working nicely leads to
having to implement data cache coherency properly.

*That* lead to making crfsd a lot easier to work with.  I just landed
that work yesterday.  The short story is that, to service a data
coherency operation, the request processing needs to get pretty rich
access to a lot of data -- the on-disk items and the coherency state in
particular.  The previous hopeful architecture of isolating data amongst
separate processes made that a lot more difficult than it needed to be.
 Now state is shared amongst threads and is protected by locks.  The
analogy is between a micro kernel and the linux kernel, I think ;).

Anyway, now that it's easier to implement some relatively complex
interactions of state I should be able to throw together the data
coherency pieces.

- z