[Btrfs-devel] btrfs stability

Tuncer Ayaz tuncer.ayaz at gmail.com
Sat Mar 8 06:46:20 PST 2008

On Sat, Mar 8, 2008 at 10:38 AM, Rekrutacja <rekrutacja119 at gmail.com> wrote:
> hello, i'm considering using brtfs for my free hosting server, i really
>  really need performance with lots of files and subdirectories, and only
>  reiser4 and brtfs are doing good with large numbers.
>
>  i know it's not stable yet, but how crazy would you call moving to brtfs
>  a free hosting? only users files of course, the whole system is on ext3,
>  it doesn't need performance.
>
>  but i have like 100 000 users, all have one directory in
>  /var/www/virtual, and it is causing xfs and other filesystems
>  performance problems.

If this is that easily explained it would mean
that for example a Subversion fsfs repo on
ext3 with dir_index would run into performance
issues beyond revision 99.999.

Is that really the case?

Would "tar, re-mkfs, extract tarball" help?
Guess not.

Otherwise there's only the hope for btrfs being
released before one hits that limit :D

Subjectively, I find 100.000 entries not that
high as for being a limit for ext3-dir_index's
hash algo.

<snip>