[Btrfs-devel] Bonnie++ on linux/ppc btrfs 0.13

Chris Mason chris.mason at oracle.com
Mon Mar 3 08:14:50 PST 2008

On Saturday 01 March 2008, Miguel Figueiredo Mascarenhas Sousa Filipe wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I thought I'd share some simple bonnie++ runs I did on a "low end" system.
> I ran bonnie++ 1.03 on a ibook/ppc, with btrfs-unstable (rev e4cd88595ed7 )
> and ext3, on ubuntu/ppc.

Great, thanks for trying it out.

> This i a ibook G3 800mhz ppc750 , with 640mb of ram, and a 30GB slow ide
> disk. Kernel is: 2.6.20-16-powerpc
>
> this is the output of a hdparm -i /dev/hda
> /dev/hda:

[ results ]

> I would like to point out that metadata operations, like create and delete
> seem cpu bounded, and a bit low..
> Also, btrfs is allready besting ext3 on seeks/sec and input performance :D.

Especially on slower CPUs, the btree operations done by btrfs are going to be
slower than ext3 for creating and deleting files.  There is some low hanging
fruit to optimize there, but I'd suggest smaller block sizes (mkfs.btrfs -l
4k -n 4k) on this type of machine.

I'm surprised that ext3 did not rewrite the file at full disk speed.

> I also had to apply this patch for the kernel module to link and
> insmod on this kernel.

Ok, I'll pull this in, thanks!

-chris