[Btrfs-devel] Btrfs kernel module v0.7

Chris Mason chris.mason at oracle.com
Fri Aug 10 13:45:13 PDT 2007

Hello everyone,

The defrag code in v0.6 seems to have been really good at triggering a
bug in my extent tree allocation code.  So, I've put out v0.7 with the
fix.  There are also a bunch of defrag refinements and Josef's fsync
improvments included.

To give you an idea of how much the defrag code and related readahead
fixes help:

Time to create 1 million files, 512 bytes each:
v0.4: 3m17s
v0.7: 2m32s

Time to run find . on the directory:
v0.4: 21.60s
v0.7: 3.27s

Unfortunately the time to read all the files with tar isn't much better
because Btrfs is still seeking around the directory name index.  I need
to figure out a better way to get around that.

-chris