[Berkeley DB Announce] The newest release of Berkeley DB 12cR1 (12.1.6.1) is available!

Announcements related to the Berkeley DB product family. bdb at oss.oracle.com
Mon Jul 14 12:23:08 PDT 2014

.BerkeleyDB-ProductUpdate.jpg

*/New Releases of Oracle Berkeley DB/*

*Available//For Download Now
Subject:**Release Update

*
The newest release of Berkeley DB 12cR1 (12.1.6.1) is available now.
Here is a summary of the new features:

*/      upgrades /*to in-memory OLTP throughput & performance*/
new/* HA improvement to identify a single master in a 2 site replication
group*/
new /*HA useability improvements
*new *Blob support added into replication
*/removed /*need for fail check monitor process
*/reduced /*/the time for a database backup
and a lot more
<http://download.oracle.com/otndocs/products/berkeleydb/html/changelog_6_1.html>!/

/Berkeley DB continues to *enable* the most powerful embedded database
solutions/

       Handle TBs of data with a 1MB library
Flexible, lightweight storage engine, small footprint
Runs on low power ARM devices to cluster of high-end servers
Over 50 open source software projects embed BDB -- check them out on
Wikipedia <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berkeley_DB>
Completely customizable, choose from 5 different access methods
Industrial quality and battle tested with over 200 million deployments

*/BDB is hands-down the best edge, mobile, and embedded database
available to developers.  With the flexibility to place log files and/or
database in any directory, applications can easily take advantage of the
IO performance of flash caches, flash disks or SSDs./*

*
Top notch performance*:

  * Berkeley DB performs over *5 million operations* a second on a 100GB
    database running on a 1/8 rack Exadata V2 Database Machine
    configured with 256GB RAM and 12 cores.
  * Berkeley DB can insert 100 thousand records in 72 milliseconds and
    read those records in 30 milliseconds, running on a 8 core
    XEON-based commodity server.  The records contain a 4 byte key and a
    48 byte data value.  This was run using the benchmark described on
    pages 34-36 in an ebook <http://aka.ms/684751pdf> on SQL Server 2014
    from Microsoft Press.
  * To put this into perspective, we compared Berkeley DB to SQL Server
    2014's In-Memory OLTP feature (code name Hekaton)  which has similar
    technology.  Berkeley DB, an open source product, is about 20%
    faster than SQL Server 2014 which takes 94 milliseconds for the same
    100k insert operations on an 8 core X64 Intel commodity box with 14
    GB memory.

     We are making available a benchmark program in C that can be
configured to validate Berkeley DB throughput for the 100K insert test
here
<http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/database-technologies/berkeleydb/learnmore/index.html>.

*What folks are saying:***

Open source Fedora package maintainer, Lubomir Rintel, says "Berkeley DB
has quietly served behind the scenes as the database for the RPM Package
Manager.   It has proven itself time and time again as a robust and
efficient storage engine.   It stores the meta information of the
installed rpms.  Under heavy workloads, BDB proves itself reliable.
Countless people that use popular Linux distributions have used BDB
through RPM and never knew it.  With this new release,   BDB continues
its tradition of being a solid storage engine"

Oracle Tape Product Manager, Dan Deppen, says "Berkeley DB is integral
to Oracle StorageTek Storage Archive Manager (SAM-QFS).  We have been
embedding Berkeley DB in our product for over a decade and it is vital
to our disk archiving feature which is used to send files to remote data
centers to enable disaster recovery.  Performance and scalability are
critical because SAM-QFS supports some of the largest archive customers
in the world.   HPC sites, research centers, national libraries and
other customers requiring massive scalability and high reliability
depend on SAM-QFS and Berkeley DB to maintain availability of their
critical data."

   Oracle Identity Management Vice President, Shirish Puranik, says
"Berkeley DB is a critical component of Oracle Unified Directory (OUD)
and Oracle Directory Server Enterprise Edition (ODSEE).  We have been
using Berkeley DB in these products as a high performance, transaction
embedded database repository for several years.  Berkeley DB has exceed
our expectations for performance and stability. Our Berkeley DB based
products are widely deployed in production at largest telcos and
financial institutions all over the world.   The improvements for BLOB
support and high availability in the 6.1 release are welcome."

Software Downloads

  * Downloads available today on the Berkeley DB download page
    <http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/berkeleydb/downloads/index.html>.

  * Product Documentation
    <http://docs.oracle.com/cd/E17076_04/html/index.html>

*Questions?*

Please direct product questions to our Product Help Mail list for
Berkeley DB
<mailto:berkeley_db_help_ww at oracle.com?subject=Question%20about%20Berkeley%20DB%206.1%20Release>.
You can also email the Berkeley DB Product Management team
<mailto:dave.segleau at oracle.com;anuj.sahni at oracle.com;michael.brey at oracle.com;ashok.joshi at oracle.com?subject=Berkeley%20DB%20Question>
directly.

Berkeley DB Product Management
Internal -