[Berkeley DB Announce] Patch Release: Berkeley DB Java Edition 4.1.7

Announcements related to the Berkeley DB product family. bdb at oss.oracle.com
Thu Jan 6 08:43:58 PST 2011

Berkeley DB Java Edition 4.1.7
http://www.oracle.com/us/products/database/berkeley-db/index.html
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/berkeleydb/overview/index.html
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/berkeleydb/overview/persistence-160890.html
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/berkeleydb/overview/index-093405.html

Berkeley DB Java Edition 4.1.7 is a patch release consisting three important fixes. We strongly recommend that users of the 4.1.x upgrade to this release.

These fixes include:

[#19346] - Fix a bug that could cause an EnvironmentFailureException with LOG_FILE_NOT_FOUND during recovery, meaning that the JE environment cannot be opened. We strongly recommend that all applications using JE 4.1.6 upgrade immediately. The bug was introduced in JE 4.1.6 and is not present in earlier releases.

[#19312] - Fixed a bug that prevents using a DPL class converter mutation for a proxy class. Previously, an exception such as the following was thrown:
  com.sleepycat.persist.raw.RawObject cannot be cast to
  com.sleepycat.persist.model.PersistentProxy
  at com.sleepycat.persist.impl.ProxiedFormat.newInstance(ProxiedFormat.java:91)
  at com.sleepycat.persist.impl.RecordInput.readObject(RecordInput.java:174)
  at com.sleepycat.persist.impl.ReflectionAccessor$ObjectAccess.read(ReflectionAccessor.java:406)
  at com.sleepycat.persist.impl.ReflectionAccessor.readNonKeyFields(ReflectionAccessor.java:285)
Thanks to James Li for reporting this on OTN and helping us to identify the problem in the source code.

[#19321] - Fix a bug that caused a hard deadlock when attempting to abort a transaction in one thread, while performing operations using the transaction in another thread. Now, rather than a hard deadlock, an IllegalStateException will be thrown in this circumstance. Thanks to Jervin on OTN for reporting this.

The complete list of changes is in the change log page.
http://download.oracle.com/otndocs/products/berkeleydb/html/je/je-4.1.7_changelog.html

Product documentation can be found at:
http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/E17277_02/html/index.html

Download the source code including the pre-compiled JAR, complete documentation, and the entire test suite as a single package.

http://download.oracle.com/berkeley-db/je-4.1.7.zip
http://download.oracle.com/berkeley-db/je-4.1.7.tar.gz

Common questions are addressed in our FAQ that you can find here:
http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/database/berkeleydb/je-faq-096044.html

Then join OTN and participate in the Berkeley DB JE Support Forum discussions. Our engineering and support staff are highly active on these forums, if you have questions please ask them there first.
http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=273

For further information, or questions about licensing and sales of JE, please contact us at:
mailto:berkeleydb-info_us at oracle.com

Thank you for your support of Berkeley DB Java Edition.

-greg

Greg Burd | Senior Product Manager | Oracle Berkeley DB