[Berkeley DB Announce] Patch Release: Berkeley DB Java Edition 3.3.87

Announcements related to the Berkeley DB product family. bdb at oss.oracle.com
Tue Aug 18 09:01:33 PDT 2009

Berkeley DB Java Edition 3.3.87
http://www.oracle.com/database/berkeley-db/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/berkeley-db/
http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/berkeley-db/je/

Berkeley DB Java Edition 3.3.87 is a patch release consisting of fixes for a number of issues. We strongly recommend that users of the 3.3.x version upgrade to this release.

These fixes include:

[#17462] - Fix a bug that would allow the Total Memory Usage stat to become negative. This could prevent eviction from occurring, which could cause OutOfMemoryError for some applications. It is most likely to occur in an application with a large cache and frequent checkpoints, but it could occur in other scenarios as well.

[#17551] - Fix a bug that caused a NullPointerException during eviction when an exception occurs during logging, for example, an IOException when the disk is full. The NullPointerException masked the original exception (e.g., IOException). We'd like to thank OTN Forum user tkram01 for reporting this on the BDB JE Forum. An example stack trace is below.
    java.lang.NullPointerException
    at com.sleepycat.je.tree.LN.log(LN.java:534)
    at com.sleepycat.je.tree.LN.log(LN.java:373)
    at com.sleepycat.je.tree.BIN.logDirtyLN(BIN.java:1016)
    at com.sleepycat.je.tree.BIN.evictInternal(BIN.java:985)
    at com.sleepycat.je.tree.BIN.evictLNs(BIN.java:940)
    at com.sleepycat.je.evictor.Evictor.evictIN(Evictor.java:761)
    at com.sleepycat.je.evictor.Evictor.evictBatch(Evictor.java:344)
    at com.sleepycat.je.evictor.Evictor.doEvict(Evictor.java:244)
    at com.sleepycat.je.evictor.Evictor.doCriticalEviction(Evictor.java:269)
    at com.sleepycat.je.dbi.CursorImpl.close(CursorImpl.java:711)
    at com.sleepycat.je.Cursor.close(Cursor.java:326)
    at com.sleepycat.je.Database.putInternal(Database.java:999)
    at com.sleepycat.je.Database.put(Database.java:885)

[#17546] -  EnvironmentConfig.COMPRESSOR_PURGE_ROOT has been deprecated. This parameter no longer has any effect. Compression of the root node has no benefit and this feature has been removed. This feature was also bug-prone, as reported by penemue on OTN.

[#17590] - Fix a bug that could cause OutOfMemoryError when many records are read in a read-only environment, and the data set that is accessed does not fit in available memory. This applies to two types of applications:
User applications that open the Environment with the read-only (EnvironmentConfig.setReadOnly(true)) property.
The JE utilities that open the Environment read-only: DbVerify, DbStat, and DbDump if neither the -r nor -R switch is specified.
Thanks to user8694068 for reporting this on OTN and working with us to diagnose the problem.

The complete list of changes can also be found in the change log page.

http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/je/changeLog.html

Product documentation can be found at:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/documentation/berkeley-db/je/

Download the source code including the pre-compiled JAR, complete documentation, and the entire test suite as a single package.

http://download.oracle.com/berkeley-db/je-3.3.87.zip
http://download.oracle.com/berkeley-db/je-3.3.87.tar.gz

Scanning through our frequently asked questions (FAQs) is a good idea if you are new to JE (or even if you're an expert). Please take a minute to review them here:

http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/berkeley-db/faq/je_faq.html

Then join OTN and participate in the Berkeley DB JE Support Forum discussions. Our engineering and support staff are highly active on these forums, if you have questions please ask them there first.

http://forums.oracle.com/forums/forum.jspa?forumID=273

For further information, or questions about licensing and sales of JE, please contact us at:

mailto:berkeleydb-info_us at oracle.com

Thank you for your support of Berkeley DB Java Edition.

-greg

Greg Burd | Senior Product Manager | Oracle Berkeley DB